Monday, August 17, 2009

You are not ready to look for a school just yet…

I had a small hiccup during my application to convert my license to a local one… For some reason, my government decided not to reply to the DSAT’s enquiry regarding my license so they proposed the following to me: “We’ll allow you to have a Macau license to drive cars only, but your other licenses won’t be transferred…”

I felt kind of funny as I had been riding a scooter around for over 7 years without any problem and DSAT was now telling me they thought I was not eligible anymore (something about my country and Macau different requirements when it comes to motorcycles licenses…). So anyway, my only choice to ride legally was to get some lessons and pass the driving test.

I’ll talk about my experience with my driving school and all in a later post… What comes first is a more financial subject that I want to cover as motorcycles’ prices here differ quite a bit when compared to U.S. or Europe… Here are some price ranges for different types of motorcycles:

  • 125cc: HKD15,000 to 20,000
  • 250cc: HKD35,000 to 60,000
  • 400cc: HKD70,000 to 80,000
  • 650cc and over: HKD80,000 to 120,000

This short list should give you a better idea of how much money you will have to save to afford your ride. Of course, you may find some exceptions here and there… Also note that I’ve only included prices for street bikes (meaning scooters have been excluded) and this is only for reference…

So take a good look at the prices, go around the different dealers (I’ll give a list and map later on), try to find a bike you like… Once you’ve set your mind and accepted the fact you’ll have to spend that much money on a ride, start looking for a school and subscribe.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP